#1: Make a scarecrow
Today I went to the National Apple Harvest Festival with my husband, his sister and her husband, and our little neice and nephew. This event in itself doesn’t count as something new because the same group did the same thing last year at this time. What is new, however, is that I helped the kids build a scarecrow. I’m pretty sure I’ve never made a real scarecrow before–complete with denim and hay. But just in case I have, I know for sure I’ve never made one in rural Pennsylvania and certainly not with such an adorable group.
Lest you be skeptical about whether this qualifies as new enough, may I also submit to you several other new things that I did:
- Pet a pig named “Pinky” as well as a few goats, a rabbit, and a baby cow
- Ate apple sausage, apple crisp, apple cake, an apple daquiri, and apple slices with caramel, all in the span of roughly two hours
- You can never eat too many apple products in one day
- Farm animals aren’t as soft as they look
- I am allergic to hay but . . .
- It is never a bad time to get in touch with your inner child and just do something silly and fun for the heck of it